Celebrating an Ontario climate change and energy saving success
Tuesday, July 28th 2015 11:37:24am
Plant Tour, Photo/Interview Opportunity
Ontario’s Minister of the Environment and Climate Change and industry representatives will tour ARCA Canada to mark the milestone of half a million appliances having been decommissioned at the facility. Of this total, 420,000 were collected through the OPA/IESO saveONenergy FRIDGE & FREEZER PICKUP program.
Recycling old, inefficient appliances, such as fridges and freezers, leads to an enormous reduction in energy consumption, greenhouse gas emissions and other environmental pollutants.
The tour will showcase how ARCA Canada collects, decommissions and recycles the appliances received at its facility. The process ensures ozone-depleting chemicals, which contribute to climate change, and other hazardous materials and waste are removed and properly disposed of.
- For every 1,000 fridges properly decommissioned, the reduction in greenhouse gases is equivalent to 1,500 passenger cars NOT driven for a year.
- To date, the saveONenergy FRIDGE & FREEZER PICKUP has saved the equivalent of the electricity needed to power 21,800 homes for a year.
Friday July 31, 2015
10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Glen Murray, Minister of the Environment and Climate Change
- Terry Young, Vice-President of Conservation and Corporate Relations, Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
- Joseph Berta, Managing Director, ARCA Canada
ARCA Canada Inc.
2125 South Service Road W., Unit A
Oakville, Ontario L6L 5W2
For more information, please contact:
Michael Zupanic, ECO Strategy,
416-972-7404 or email@example.com
ARCA Canada is the provider of pickup and decommissioning services for FRIDGE & FREEZER PICKUP, an electricity conservation program funded and operated by the IESO. ARCA Canada is committed to providing environmentally-friendly appliance recycling programs to help protect the earth's natural resources.