Environmental Commissioner of Ontario to release 2010 Annual Report
Thursday, September 16th 2010 1:12:22pm
Toronto, Thursday September 16 , 2010 – The Environmental Commissioner of Ontario, Gord Miller, will release his 2009/2010 Annual Report at 10:00 am on September 22nd, 2010. Copies of the report, Redefining Conservation, will be available an hour earlier on-line at www.eco.on.ca, or at the Legislative Press Gallery, in room 387A of the Ontario Legislature.
Commissioner Miller will hold a news conference at 10:00 am in the Queens Park Media Studio to answer questions about the report’s findings. Some of the issues that are addressed in Redefining Conservation include:
• The conflicts between the government’s promise to protect half the boreal forest in the Far North, and efforts to develop the Ring of Fire.
• Why beaches on the Ontario side of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario are more polluted than the American beaches.
• The future of woodland caribou in Ontario and how well the government is protecting them.
• Environmental problems posed by aging landfills, and efforts by the Ministry of the Environment to track them.
• Natural-gas power plants, and the environmental assessments they require.
• Which plant and animal species will suffer, and may be lost forever, because of climate change.
• The health of forests in Southern Ontario, and the Ministry of Natural Resource’s plan to plant 50 million more trees over the next decade.
• The Ministry of the Environment’s development of new rules for regulating air pollution by heavy industries.
• Development encroaching on provincially-significant wetlands.
• How the government lets an unlicensed pit masquerade as a farm.
The Commissioner will also be available for individual interviews after the news conference. Bilingual support will also be available at the event.
Details regarding the Commissioner’s webcast will be available on Monday, September 20, 2010.
- 30 -
The Environmental Commissioner of Ontario is appointed by the Legislative Assembly to be the province's independent environmental watchdog, and report publicly on the government's environmental decision-making.
Aussi disponible en français.
For more information, contact:
Communications and Outreach Coordinator
Environmental Commissioner of Ontario
416-325-3371 / 416-819-1673